Looking back at the evolution of the means of communication, the first thing that comes to mind is the telephone then the fax machine and then social media – which simplified and fueled the passion and business. The most amazing thing about social media is that it has given everyone a platform to showcase their talents, voice their opinions, or document their daily activities.
June 30, 2020, is the 11th celebration of World Social Media Day. But what does this occasion actually signify?
When Was Social Media Day Launched?
World Social Media Day was officially launched by a popular social media portal called Mashable on June 30, 2010. Mashable has now transformed into a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. This day is dedicated as ‘Social Media Day’ in order to embrace and remember how social media has impacted global communication.
Social Media Marketers celebrate this day by meeting up, organizing seminars and talking about the latest developments in the social media marketing world and how it has left its impact on humanity.
Evolution Of Social Media Platforms –
SixDegrees was the first of social media platform launched in 1997. It had about a million members when it peaked. Unfortunately, SixDegrees was shut down in the year 2001.
In terms of modern social media, Friendster was the very first proper social network. It was founded in 2002 and has over a hundred million registered users, mostly from Asia. Soon After MySpace in 2003 and Facebook in 2004 which eventually became the most popular social media platform in the world which is expected to reach 1.69 billion users by the end of 2020.
LinkedIn was the first used mainstream network for business which was born in 2003. It allowed posting and interacting through private messaging, and later added new features like groups; new profile features, forums, video, an ads platform etc. for easier use and greater scale. Another social media network published in 2003 was Hi5. It has over a million active users as of now.
Amazing Facts About Social Media World –
- Half of the internet users who do not use Facebook themselves live with someone who does.
- It took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day to go from the first Tweet to the billionth.
- On average, a person watches 40 minutes of videos per day, and over 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi (left) featuring Daddy Yankee (right) has been the most liked video on YouTube since July 2017, with over 37.9 million likes as of June 2020.
- Social Glims is the most popular Instagrammed marketing account followed by Content Marketing Institute and Boom Media.
- There are 500 million tweets sent each day — that’s 6,000 tweets every second.
- When Instagram introduced videos, more than 5 million were shared in 24 hours
Amazed by these facts? Do let us know in the comments below how are your planning to celebrate Social Media Day 2020!